Manufacturing & Sustainability
The simple truth is that apparel manufacturing is not a very environmentally friendly business. In the end, it is also partly up to our customers to do their part and support companies that are trying their best to solve the problems of sustainability. For our part, we do the following:
– Produced quality goods so that the need to frequently replace your garments is drastically reduced
– Make our apparel with performance in mind that is multi-purpose and function so that you actually need less clothes in your closet
– Deal with as many sustainable quality fabrics as possible
– If people’s sizes change, we offer an up/down program where you can return the clothes back to us in the 1st year, and receive a 50% discount on new sizes and then we donate the used clothing to people in need to keep the garments in a life cycle as long as possible
–Try and deal with as many recycled products as possible whenever we can
– We’re committed to always trying to improve (honestly and respectfully we are certainly not perfect) and never being satisfied that we have found all the answers
How do you ensure RYU products are ethically produced?
We Respect Your Universe, and so we take extra steps to ensure all RYU products are ethically produced.
We personally visit every factory we deal with for manufacturing. Our staff has more than 100 years combined experience in the apparel trade and are all experts in their field in producing quality goods that meet the best standards that are available. There are “good” and “bad” factories in every country. Our standard is to only deal with the best “good” ones and respect every human, no matter where they live or work. Whoever is the best at what they do gets to produce our RYU apparel & accessories for you.
We will not deal with lower cost factories that do not act and treat their staff and vendors in a proper manner that respects the rights of workers and the environment. No system is perfect yet, but we constantly are trying to improve all the time.
Are your materials/fabrics sustainably sourced?
Yes, the materials and fabrics used in RYU products are sustainably sourced. We deal mainly with BLUESIGN® certified fabrics, so that we are supporting the most sustainable fabrics on the planet.
The BLUESIGN® system is the solution for a sustainable textile production. It eliminates harmful substances right from the beginning of the manufacturing process and sets and controls standards for an environmentally friendly and safe production. This not only ensures that RYU products meet very stringent consumer safety requirements worldwide, but also provides you with the confidence that RYU is a sustainable product.
Where do you make your gear?
Our products are made in various locations that include Canada, USA, Vietnam, and China. We always strive to only deal with whoever is best in the world to make each individual item. We want to respect all humanity, no matter where they live or work.